I just recently learned about Kefir - not the fake kind in the grocery store - the live grains you grow in your home. We bought some live organic milk grains a few weeks ago. Justin got some live water grains from his aunt. (there are two different kinds of kefir grains: water and milk) It takes a while to grow the small amount into an amount large enough to share with others, but pretty soon we can give him some milk and get some water grains from him.
Basically, these are beneficial bacteria that you grow in milk or water or juice. They ferment the base liquid and you can use that liquid in recipes or drink it. The water kefir makes a drink that tastes like apple juice. I can't wait to try it in home made grape juice. We have been making the milk liquid into a smoothy with fruit. Peaches, last night.
While the health benefits are similar to yogurt, there are some added benefits as well. First, store bought yogurt does not use grass fed cow milk which we prefer. It is also highly processed, which reduces the beneficial bacteria, and it contains sugar (often HFCS). Home grown kefir also contains additional bacteria that line the stomach and help prevent other diseases that yogurt just can't match:
- Treats Candida (yeast, a huge problem caused by processed susgar foods, causing everything from fatigue to weight gain)
- Regulates the blood pressure, blood sugar and cures diabetes.
- Improves the liver and gallbladder, regulates bile production, influences positively hepatitis.
- Reduces anxiety, depression, increases energy and feeling of well being.
- Heals various eczema, all skin disorders and leads to cure of acne.
- Produces its own antibiotics, eliminates unfriendly bacteria, cures internal and external inflammations.
- Produces own anti-cancer compounds, prevents metastasis, and leads to cure.
- Has a positive influence on cholesterol, osteoporosis and rheumatism.
- Heals colitis, diarrhea, catarrh, reflux, leaky gut syndrome, candidiasis and more.
- Produces all necessary vitamins and beneficial bacteria needed for our healthy daily life.
- Has a positive influence on the heart and blood, heals circulatory conditions.
- Heals lactose intolerance and provides full digestibility of milk based products.
- Heals the kidneys, the urinary tract and protects prostate.
- Regulates the body’s immune system and improves resistance to diseases.
- Re-balances the intestinal flora and stomach acid, heals duodenum and cures ulcers.
- Slows the aging process, smooths and improves skin, hair and muscle tone.
- Supports enzymes production and heals the pancreas.
- Heals the lungs, bronchitis, tuberculosis, asthma, allergies and migraine.
- Regulates metabolism, digestion and heals diseases of the colon.
Just wanted to share. As we grow our grains (this may take a month or two) I am happy to share with anyone interested. Also will be sharing recipes, as you can make cheese, dips, breads, etc from the liquid. (Kefir can be used as a rennet substitute in cheese making). If you want to read more I highly recommedn Dom's site: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html